I made this over the holidays when we had guests. It was so good that I made it three more times over winter break!
- 1 1/3 c. flour
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 c. softened butter
- 2/3 c. milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Grease and flour 9 x 9 inch pan or medium cake dish (6 x 8 inch).
- Measure first 4 ingredients into mixer bowl.
- Add shortening and milk.
- Blend, then beat at medium speed, 1 1/2 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla, blending well on low.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Top with: 3/4 c. white sugar 2 tsp. cinnamon 2 tbsp. flour 2 tbsp. melted butter
- Combine and mix well. Spread evenly over batter. You can leave it on top like a struesel or swirl it into the batter (that's what I did).
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes at 350 degrees or until toothpick comes out clean.