I found this recipe right before the girls' birthdays. They loved them and so did the grown-ups who tried them! I have made 4 batches in the past 10 days - whew! I have tried two different frosting recipes and I'm not fond of either one so if someone has suggestions, I love to hear them!
- Duncan Hines Yellow Cake Mix
- 12 oz Mountain Dew
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup Mountain Dew for brushing on tops
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 muffin cups with liners.
- Combine cake mix and Mountain Dew in the bowl of an electric mixer and mix on low speed for 30 seconds. Scrape the sides of the bowl and beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Fill cups 2/3 full and bake about 15 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.
- Remove pans from oven and poke holes in warm cupcakes with toothpicks. Brush lightly with Mountain Dew.
- Remove cupcakes from pan and allow to cool on rack.
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 2/3 cup Mountain Dew
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp lemon extract
- 7 cups powdered sugar
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, the combine softened butter, Mountain Dew, and extracts. Beat on medium low speed until well blended. Add powdered sugar and beat on low speed until combined. Increase speed to medium high and beat for about 2 minutes. If frosting is not thick enough, add powdered sugar until you reach desired consistency.
- Using gel food coloring, color half the frosting yellow and half green. Place in a piping bag side by side and pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 sticks of salted butter (room temp)
- 1/8 cup approx of Mountain Dew
- 1 T of lemon juice
- Beat the butter well till smooth, slowly add in 1 cup at a time of powdered sugar and lemon juice & Mountain Dew.
- After adding all of the sugar and check for thickness of the frosting. If it is too thick, add a teaspoon at a time of Mountain Dew till the correct consistency is reached.